Serving Illinois and Nationwide
Waukegan Workers' Compensation Lawyers
Waukegan is home to an industrial port and regional airport, which invites numerous jobs in the manufacturing and transportation industries.
With industry comes risks to the safety of workers, and the Waukegan workers compensation attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC specialize in maximizing the value of workers' compensation claims and recovering damages from negligent employers. We work hard to ensure that our clients can focus on their rehabilitation without fear of falling into deep financial debt.
Were you injured in a workplace accident? If so, it is crucial to seek the advice of an experienced work comp attorney to make sure that you get the respect and benefits that you are entitled to receive.
If you or a family member was injured on the job, contact a Waukegan, IL, workers compensation lawyer at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today for a free consultation.Waukegan is Strategically Located to be an Industry Hub
Waukegan has a port that supports roughly 100 cargo ships per year off of Lake Michigan. The city also has an airport with a customs office. Waukegan was founded in the prime location for the development of the industry.
Its port is home to Gold Bond Building Products, LaFarge Corp., and St Mary's Cement and houses nearly 100,000 tons of gypsum and fourteen cement silos. The area is also home to one of Uline's largest distribution centers, which employs over 1,200 workers. Its access to the Union Pacific/North Line also makes it an essential part of the rail network by which millions of tons of freight are moved through the Midwest every year.
The transportation industry is responsible for about thirty-one percent of all workplace accident-related deaths, even though only four percent of the injuries reported in the state occur in transportation-related jobs.
The use of commercials, trucks, and machinery in this industry makes it far more likely for injuries to be fatal or life-altering, and employers in the transportation industry often try to cut corners when it comes to safety.Some Common Causes of Workers Compensation Cases in Waukegan, Illinois
Establishing the exact cause of an accident is the most crucial step in determining the value of your case. You are entitled to benefits regardless of whether you can prove your employer or a third party was responsible. However, the ability to prove negligence is useful when your workers' compensation benefits are not sufficient to cover the financial losses you suffer during your physical recovery.
Some of the most common causes of accidents our Waukegan workplace injury lawyers have responded to include the following.
- Fatigue and overwork – Workers in the transportation industry are notoriously overworked, and their employers often encourage them to violate laws that dictate how long they may be on the job without rest.
- Contact with machinery or mechanical equipment – About 25% of the injuries reported in the private sector are the result of an employee's contact with large machinery or moving equipment.
- Equipment malfunctions or defects – When poor equipment design or a defective machine causes an injury, the injured worker may be able to file a claim against the manufacturer of the defective product.
- Overexertion – Many injuries result from improper lifting mechanics or pushing the body too far when moving heavy objects. These injuries are common in the warehousing and logistics industries, especially among workers who manually load and unload trucks and railcars.
- Fall events – About nineteen percent of all workplace injuries are the result of falls, and it comes as no surprise that sixteen percent of fatalities result from a slip, trip, and fall event.
Your employer is required to ensure its employees should you be injured. Most people are unaware that their claim is handled through an insurance company, and the resistance they may receive is not as likely to come from their employer.
Trial lawyers in good standing with the Bar Association can provide immediate legal advice and answer questions about filing a claim for compensation, criminal law, and other legal issues.
Insurance companies are notorious for finding loopholes that allow them to avoid paying claims. Some will even resort to dirty tactics or illegal measures to avoid paying your claim. They only get away with this because the average worker is unaware of his or her rights following an accident.
You have the following rights whenever filing any workers' compensation claim.
- You may see any doctor that you see fit for the treatment of your injuries. Your employer or employer's insurance company may not dictate to you where you may receive your treatment from, and you are entitled to seek opinions from specialists that are qualified to treat your specific type of injury.
- You may recover the entire cost of your medical treatment, even if you cannot prove that your employer was at fault for your injury.
- If you have been permanently disabled, you may recover additional compensation for your loss of income and opportunity.
- While you are sidelined from work, you are entitled to collect 67% of your salary until you can return to work.
The Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission handles Waukegan Workers' Compensation claims. The hearing location for the Waukegan area work injury claims is located at:
Lake County Courthouse
18 N. County
Waukegan, IL 60085
Annually, the Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission releases detailed workplace injury statistics that identify benefits paid out to injured employees statewide. The most recent statistics, published in 2017, indicate that there were nearly 200,000 accidents on the job in Illinois. However, less than one out of four claims were filed with the Commission.
The major take away of this discrepancy in the number of claims filed compared to those that could have been filed reveals that many injured workers never receive the benefits they deserved. Of those who did file a claim, approximately 90% settled for an acceptable amount. The final 10% resulted in denial by an arbitrator working on behalf of the Commission.
About half of all injured workers denied benefits filed an appeal. Of these, about 40% reached settlements, and the final 10% were denied benefits again. Nearly one-third of all workers' compensation claims were filed in the state in 2017 were submitted in Cook County (Chicago).
The Commission statistics revealed that the top leading causes of job-related injuries that did not result in a wrongful death happened through a:
- Slip, trip, or fall
- Contact with a piece of equipment or object
- Workplace violence
- Harmful toxic or environmental condition exposure
- Car, truck or heavy equipment collision
The leading industries involving Illinois worker's compensation benefits happened in various occupations for the government, manufacturing, natural mining and resources, construction, and services.Let Us Help You With Your Physical and Financial Recovery Following a Waukegan Work Accident
It can be extremely frustrating and discouraging to attempt to file your claim by yourself. Many others feel the same way. To ensure a successful result, nearly eighty-six percent of injured workers in Illinois seek legal representation before filing their claims.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is an award-winning firm that focuses on multiple aspects of your recovery. The primary goal we have for every client is for them to be able to recover from their injuries as quickly as possible or to be able to adapt to their new lifestyles if they've been permanently disabled.
We have access to a network of excellent medical experts and will ensure that you have access to the treatment and therapy that you need.
While you focus on your physical recovery, we will work hard to build your case and evaluate all of the avenues available to secure damages on your behalf. We will do whatever it takes to ensure that your medical costs do not cripple you financially and that you can meet all of your financial obligations throughout your rehabilitation.Hiring a Waukegan Workers' Compensation Injury Lawyer
Our commitment to the wellbeing of our clients has made us one of the most trusted personal injury law firms in the state. We would be happy to review your case during a free consultation at a location of your choosing.
Contact us! Your consultation comes with no risk or obligation. Our Waukegan workers' compensation attorneys will never accept a fee unless we have been able to recover compensation on your behalf. Visit our Chicago workers' compensation lawyer page for more information on our personal injury attorney law office locations, our practice areas, filing an injury claim, and our years of experience in handling work-related injuries and wrongful death lawsuits.