Serving Illinois and Nationwide
Waukegan Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
When you have been injured, you may feel a lot of uncertainty when it comes to whether you will be able to afford the medical care you need. You likely wonder whether you can return to your work duties and whether your family will survive the financial turmoil you are are experiencing. The Waukegan slip and fall accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC specialize in helping those who have been injured through premises liability or workplace accidents, and we can help ensure that you can recover every bit of compensation that Illinois law will allow so that you can focus on your physical rehabilitation.Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Waukegan
A slip or fall can occur just about anywhere and for many different reasons, but property owners have a responsibility toward any guests who are invited to or have a right to use their home, office or facility. When reasonable measures are not taken to ensure their safety, victims may hold property owners or managers responsible for failing to perform regular maintenance or install proper safety devices. Following are some of the most common causes of these types of accidents.
- Ice and snow— black ice is a prevalent cause of slip and fall accidents during winter months, and it is up to property managers to take reasonable actions to clear parking lots and walkways so that guests do not injure themselves. Shoveling, plowing and putting down salt are all reasonable ways to remove this risk.
- Defective elevator doors— falls down elevator shafts are tragic and can be prevented by marking off areas under maintenance and ensuring that elevator doors are working correctly and will not open when the elevator is not present.
- Wet floors— after cleaning floors, maintenance staff should mark them off so that people know to expect slick surfaces and when it is raining or snowing, carpets should be placed down so that moisture doesn't accumulate and create a hazard.
- Lack of guardrails— it is vital that guardrails are installed wherever there is a risk of falls from considerable heights, such as on balconies or staircases.
- Poorly maintained staircases— many trip and fall accidents occur on stairways that are defective or littered with debris and hazards. It is the responsibility of property owners to ensure that stairs are appropriately maintained, well-lit and free of trip hazards.
- Poorly maintained pavement and sidewalks— potholes and uneven pavement can prove to be extremely dangerous to people when they don't expect to trip or have a foot caught by a pothole or sudden rise or drop in the ground beneath them.
- Workplace hazards— from poorly maintained railings to the presence of debris and trip hazards, there are some causes of slip and fall accidents on the job. Slip, trip and fall events account for the most severe workplace accidents aside from falling objects.
Most falls lead to very minor and temporary injuries, but some can be quite severe and require immediate and long-term medical care before the victim can return to his or her regular activities. Others still may leave him or her forever changed and unable to live life as he or she once enjoyed. Here are some of the most common injuries we see following these kinds of accidents.
- Traumatic brain injuries— what is so alarming about these injuries are how invisible they can be. Following a blow to the head, you may feel perfectly fine, only to discover weeks later that the damage done to your brain is just beginning to manifest symptoms. These injuries can have a catastrophic impact, from loss of motor function to loss of memory and cognition and the inability to communicate or concentrate.
- Injuries to the back and spine— a fall from the right distance or angle can easily slip or rupture a disc, break one of your vertebrae or sever your spine, rendering you partially or fully paralyzed. The cost of caring for someone who is paralyzed is exorbitant, adding insult to injury in many cases.
- Broken bones— fractures are prevalent after these types of accidents, and the treatment required to allow you to return to your normal activities can be extensive depending on the type of fracture.
- Death— falls from significant heights can result in the loss of a loved one, and the family must then incur the cost of the memorial and the loss of a companion and role model along with the financial contributions the deceased provided.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is one of the most successful personal injury law firms in the Waukegan area because we leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of compensation on behalf of our clients. We have helped thousands of people with cases similar to your own, which is why we guarantee our ability to secure damages— or you won't need to pay for our services.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our award-winning Waukegan slip and fall accident attorneys so that we can review your legal options together and decide how best to proceed with your claim.