Serving Illinois and Nationwide
Joliet Truck Accident Lawyers
Joliet, Illinois, is located at the intersection of I-55 and I-80, which are two of the most far-reaching interstates in the country, and it is for this reason the city earned the name "Crossroads of Mid-America."
Millions of trucks pass through Joliet each year, making it a major transportation hub and increasing the exposure of residents to semi-trailers on the roads.
In recent years, truck-related fatalities have risen at an alarming rate, and company policy and driver negligence are contributing factors in many otherwise preventable accidents. The Joliet truck accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC continue to be the leading representatives of those injured due to the reckless or irresponsible actions of truck drivers and their employers.Joliet is a Historic Transportation Hub
Chicago is one of the largest transportation hubs in the world, and its suburbs contribute to a massive commercial truck transportation network that is located ideally in the center of the nation. Joliet is only forty miles south of Chicago, and most southbound and westbound trucking traffic runs through I-55 or I-80.
Truckers trying to avoid Chicago's dense traffic and construction will often select a route that runs through Joliet. The two interstates split the country evenly, I-80 runs from the East Coast to the West Coast, and I-55 runs from Chicago to the Gulf of Mexico in Louisiana.
Joliet serves the transportation industry both as a stop for traveling truck drivers who are driving across the nation and as a depot for the storage of materials in warehouses, which are sent off to their final destinations when required. The redirection of trucks can result in heavy traffic where I-55 and I-80 meet and result in increased tractor-trailer accident rates along the interstates, where frustrated and fatigued drivers in passenger vehicles and commercial trucks attempt to navigate the congestion.Dangerous and Deadly Joliet Truck Accidents
Recent accidents involving commercial vehicles throughout Joliet as shown just how dangerous the streets and interstates in the area can be to residents and visitors. A few of those life-threatening accidents include:
- In September 2017, and accident victim lost her life in a multivehicle crash in Joliet on Interstate 80. The accident involved three semi-tractor-trailers. A forty-six-year-old truck driver from Chicago was cited for causing the crash claimed the lives of two individuals. The tractor-trailer veered off Interstate 80 in the eastbound lane just before sunrise before striking a woman and to parked FedEx semi-tractor-trailers at milepost 129. One truck driver suffered severe burns and injuries when her vehicle burst into flames after being struck by the moving tractor-trailer. She later succumbed to her injuries after being airlifted to Loyal University Medical Center for emergent care.
- In April of 2015, a Joliet man was killed when his stalled car was crushed beneath a semi-tractor as he attempted to move the vehicle off the road. The impact was so severe that the semi-tractor slammed the accident victims' vehicle into the median before completely crushing the car under its weight. Before the arrival of the authorities, the driver then backed the truck off the vehicle, and emergency workers needed to cut the victim free. He was declared dead at the scene of the accident, and it is most likely that he died before rescue workers had arrived.
These incidents serve as reminders of just how powerful semi-tractors are and the sheer force that is exerted upon another vehicle when they are involved in a collision.
In 2018, the Illinois Department of Transportation identified 2701 total accidents within the city limits of Naperville, Illinois, resulting in three deaths and 915 injuries. By far, rear-end collisions (1175), turning accidents (552), and hitting a vehicle at an angle (274), topped the list of leading factors in all crashes in the city. The three deaths involved one victim hitting a fixed object, and to victims involved in turning accidents.Catastrophic Injuries Suffered in Joliet Trucking Accidents
A Chicago truck accident lawyer knows that when the victim in an accident involving a negligent truck driver survives the ordeal, his or her injuries are often life-altering in severity. Expensive medical care and long-term therapy only add insult to the injury because the victim's family is burdened with the cost of caring for their loved one. The catastrophic and severe injuries associated with truck crashes and motor vehicle accidents include the following.
- Traumatic brain injuries and extensive brain damage
- Injuries to the neck, spine, and back
- Mutilated and crushed limbs, which may require amputation
- Deep lacerations and puncture wounds caused by the severe accident
The Joliet truck accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC believe that safety begins with company policy. Truck companies are responsible for ensuring that their drivers are adequately trained and adhering to applicable laws as well as performing regular truck inspections and maintenance.
If you or your loved one has been injured or killed in a truck crash, contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our award-winning Joliet truck accident lawyers to learn more about your legal options.
We have helped hundreds of personal injury clients collect the compensation in truck accident cases that they are entitled to for the payment of medical bills, out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Let us evaluate the details of your serious accident case to determine how we may best represent your interests. If our personal injury attorneys cannot collect compensation on your behalf to successfully resolve your personal injury case, our services will be free of charge.
Click here for more information on our law offices' case evaluation, practice areas, a free initial consultation, filing a claim with insurance companies, wrongful death lawsuits, and recouping medical expenses.