Serving Illinois and Nationwide
Champaign Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you have been injured due to a medical error or the careless actions of a doctor or hospital, you have the right to claim damages under Illinois law in the form of a lawsuit.
The Champaign County medical malpractice injury lawyers of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have extensive experience with cases similar to your own. They have been able to collect compensation on behalf of thousands of clients.
One of the keys to our success is an understanding of what factors influence medical negligence and to use patterns to establish a history of negligent actions. We've provided information regarding area hospitals so that you are aware of the concerns and issues for each facility.
Contact the Champaign County medical malpractice injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC for a free review of your legal rights and options. We are ready to serve you and your family.Champaign and Urbana Home to Young Population
Ever since its founding, the city has been closely linked with Urbana, and both cities are commonly considered to be the same due to their proximity and reliance on the other. Champaign-Urbana is home to the University of Illinois and thousands of college students and professors.
As a result, its median age is only 25.7 years. The medical needs of both cities are provided by two hospitals located in Urbana, and these hospitals also serve Champaign-Urbana's suburban communities.Compensation Commonly Sought in Malpractice Cases
If you are considering a lawsuit against your doctor or hospital following a medical error or injury suffered during an operative procedure, you may be wondering how these cases are valued and what forms of compensation you may be entitled to receive. Our central Illinois medical malpractice injury attorneys assess the value of each case by evaluating the costs you have already incurred as well as the potential financial impact of your injuries in the future.
The forms of compensation we might pursue in your medical malpractice claim include the following:
- The current cost of your medical treatment, including emergency medical treatment and operative procedures – If your injuries were severe, they likely resulted in the need for emergency care or immediate revision surgery. These procedures can be expensive, and you should not carry the burden when someone else's actions resulted in the need for these procedures.
- Anticipated future costs – If it is expected that you will require ongoing treatment for an extended time, we assess the value of your rehabilitative therapy and other long term treatment costs when determining the total value of damages.
- Lost wages presently and in the future – Your financial burden becomes much more substantial when you are attempting to recover from an injury while unable to return to work. As your medical bills mount, each day, you are unable to return to work adds more worry and uncertainty to your financial future. Fortunately, you may recover the value of your wages during your time off if it can be proven that your injuries prevented you from returning to work.
- A dramatic change in lifestyle – If your injuries are permanent or require extensive treatment for an extended period, you may be entitled to compensation to provide ongoing care for your condition.
- Treatment of birth injuries. When negligence during labor and delivery results in injuries that affect your child's development and ability to live a healthy life, you are entitled to receive compensation for your child's care throughout his or her lifetime.
- Pain and suffering – The value placed on your pain and suffering will be reflective of the impact your injuries have had on your quality of life and the pain endured throughout your recovery.
Mistakes and errors made by medical professionals might be the result of medical negligence that could lead to severe injury or wrongful death.Grading Champaign-Urbana's Hospitals
We've compiled data from surveys and government reports highlighting where each of the hospitals in your area can stand to make reforms to their quality of care.
This information can also be used to argue a history of reckless care or negligence when trying related malpractice cases, as it becomes much more difficult to argue that your injuries were the result of random circumstances when a pattern has developed.Presence Covenant Medical Center
1400 West Park Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801
Presence Covenant Medical Center has received designations as a level two perinatal center and for its pediatric emergency department. This facility has abnormally high mortality rates for patients treated for pneumonia and congestive heart failure.
A correlated link exists between readmission and mortality, as is exhibited by the fact that 17.5% of pneumonia patients were readmitted within thirty days of discharge, and 14.9% of pneumonia patients die within that same timeframe. 22.7% of congestive heart failure patients are readmitted within thirty days, and 15.8% do not survive.
The mortality rates for both conditions at this facility are higher than both state and national averages. Early discharge is often driven by a combination of hospital overcrowding and the influence of insurance companies on hospital policy.
Extended stays cost more, so insurance companies push to have patients released. The majority of patients who are released too early and are readmitted have a low survival rate, highlighting the need to reevaluate the criteria for discharge.
Only 65% of patients surveyed agreed that their beds, bathrooms, and general living areas were kept clean and unsanitary conditions are linked to the spread of infection. It is simply unacceptable to neglect sanitation issues, and this facility scored well below the state average in this area.
Finally, only 54% of patients understood their treatment and what was needed to continue their care at home. Failure to educate patients on their health conditions and treatments can result in increased readmission rates.Carle Foundation Hospital
611 West Park Street
Urbana, IL 61801
The Carle Foundation Hospital is designated by the state as a level one trauma unit and level three perinatal facility and is equipped to provide emergency pediatric care.
Although 79% of patients surveyed stated that they would recommend this facility to their family and friends, other data presents some serious concerns.
Patients suffering from stroke or congestive heart failure experience alarming mortality rates at this facility.
The risk-adjusted rate of deaths in Illinois due to stroke is 70.96 out of every 1,000 patients compared to the Carle Foundation Hospital's rate of 113.54 out of 1,000, and the risk-adjusted rate of congestive heart failure deaths in Illinois is 24.78 out of 1,000 compared to Carle Foundation's 40.41 out of 1,000.
The rate of trauma during instrument-assisted deliveries is 210.53 out of every 1,000 compared to the state average of 131.45 out of 1,000, and non-assisted births result in 26.97 instances of trauma out of every 1,000 compared to the state average of 17.36 out of 1,000. Instrument assisted deliveries at this facility result in injury to 21% of the mothers giving birth— which is far too many.Launch an Investigation into a Champaign Medical Malpractice Case for Free
Are you unsure of whether you have a claim for injuries that you suffered during a medical procedure or as the result of poor care? If so, contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC now to speak with a Champaign County medical malpractice injury attorney for free regarding your case.
We will be happy to answer your questions, review the details of your case, and provide legal advice so that we can begin our own investigation into the matter. Once we have evaluated your case, we will go over your legal options with you so that you can make the most informed decision on how to proceed.
We will only collect payment when we secure damages on your behalf— and if we are unable to win your case or negotiate a settlement, our services will be free of charge.
Click here for more information on effective strategies we use in medical malpractice cases and detailed law firm profiles.